Monday, August 9, 2010

Bubba Gump, Greenbelt 3

Okay, note to self: DO NOT GO OUT ON A FRIDAY NIGHT JUST TO EAT. To put it mildly, the traffic was horrible, parking was a b*tch and the restaurants had 30 minutes ++ waiting list. 
But thank God, Bubba Gump didn't disappoint. Here's what I had. 

The blue "Run Forrest Run" sign that pretty much means you are okay. Flip it to the red "Stop Forrest" sign when you need anything from the crew.

Calamari and Dip. It was our first time to try it, and the only reason we ordered it is because we saw alot of tables eating it. The verdict? hmmm... Mediocre. Nothing special. But it was better when eaten with the bedding of shredded cabbage and squeeze of lime. Unlike the usual thick batter, this just had parsley, flour, salt and pepper. According to Italian food expert Frankie, this is close to how Italians really cook their calamari. Personally, I had a problem with their "dip". It was just mayo and ketchup, hardly what I'd call a dip.

Cajun Shrimp. This I loved. The shrimps were fresh and juicy, with the right amount of herbs and cajun spices. Every bite was tasty. I also appreciated the portion. I have this fear of ordering shrimp appetizers coz they usually come in not more than five pieces. But this order had twenty (yes, I counted) shrimps! Great value for money. As for the garlic bread, I just wish it had less butter in it. It was too oily for my taste. But the shrimp, was divine. 

Bourbon Street Mahi Mahi. This is one of my favorites. The grilled Mahi Mahi was moist and flavorful throughout, and again, the shrimps were full of flavor. The Bourbon sauce is really commendable because it is light enough to compliment the Mahi Mahi, without overpowering it.

Mama's Southern Fried Chicken. Please excuse the last photo, we were so hungry at this point, photo quality was the last thing on our mind. Anyhow, this dish is surprisingly good, knowing that Bubba Gump is really more of a seafood restaurant. It is boneless and smothered in gravy. What more can you ask for?

Bubba Gump surely knows how to cook their shrimp. Next time, I'm going for that bucket of steamed shrimps and ice cold beer!




No comments: